Who am I?
Realistically idealistic daydreamer, seasoned procrastinator, atheist and monarchist with a secret agenda and a slight inclination towards voodoo practices.
My other stuff
  • QATAR BLAH BLAH
  • ExpatWoman
  • Facebook
  • Virtual Tourist
  • I Read
    Tennis
    10 December 2005
    What's in a nameday?
    OK so I got you all (almost all) totally confused as to what nameday is and why it is that mine is on December 9th... I guess I owe you an explanation! I didn't realise that this concept is virtually unheard of in the Middle East. Oh, the fabulous ignorance of the West!
    Chrisitanity thrives on Saints. Trust me, we have more Saints than we need or can possibly know, recognise or remember. Every day of the year is a festival of some Saint. I am sure you have heard about religious processions in Latin America and Italy? A village or town will have a certain Saint as its patron and protector, and celebrate his/her day with a procession, fireworks, cookoffs, games and whatever else the people fancy, once a year on that day. For a sample of a nameday calendar go there.
    In earlier times newborn kids were named after the Saints whose festival is on the day the kid was born. Thanks goodness we are (almost) over it by now. You do get an odd Helen born on the St. Helen's day, but now it's more of fun than necessity. You name your kid whatever you like, and look up the calendar when it's the St. Whatever day. For example, Christmas is the Christ day, so Christine's and Chris' nameday is December 25th. Easy!
    I got a few questions as to when YOUR namedays are. Many Arabs are Christians, therefore I am sure there are Arabic nameday calendars too, only I don't know where to find them. Alternatively, you can pick any odd day you like, announce that it is your nameday, and celebrate! Don't forget to let me know! :^)
    =^..^=


    PS. I may not be religious, but I do like my nameday!
    posted by Bravecat @ 3:14 pm  
    4 Comments:
    • At 10/12/2005, 16:10, Blogger Unknown said…

      I got the concept but didn’t get under which Saint were you celebrating

      Saint QCat A :P meow

       
    • At 10/12/2005, 16:12, Blogger AkaRound Peg said…

      In addition to the days dedicated to saintly or godly people, we Hindus have days dedicated to stars. Let me clarify - stars as in the twinkle twinkle kind. Ever since Michael Jackson came to Muscat the only star we can think of is the performing variety. SO you have kids named after the stars or you draw your identity from a star - maybe they are planets but I am no expert.

       
    • At 10/12/2005, 16:59, Blogger Degoat said…

      damn... u guys got me lost & confussed

       
    • At 10/12/2005, 18:25, Blogger Bravecat said…

      @Warda.. I am not telling! :^) You've got to guess, I guess...

      @Peg.. Thanks, that's interesting! I never heard that.

      @Degoat.. Lost and confused - that's SO not you! :^) Have a look at the link on my post, and that should clarify the matter a little!

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    Meet Me

    Name: Bravecat
    Home: Island of Love, Cyprus
    My profile
    Previous Posts
    Archives