Who am I?
Realistically idealistic daydreamer, seasoned procrastinator, atheist and monarchist with a secret agenda and a slight inclination towards voodoo practices.
My other stuff
  • QATAR BLAH BLAH
  • ExpatWoman
  • Facebook
  • Virtual Tourist
  • I Read
    Tennis
    6 December 2005
    Cat in Mus-Cat
    And so I went to Oman...

    What a silly way to start the post about something that I enjoyed so much! But really, I am not in a creative eloquent state of mind at the moment. I just want to go back there! Does me saying so sum it all up? I hope it does. As I really want to close my eyes, snap my fingers, and find myself standing by the Qurm beach. I heard about Omani magic, and that Omanis can fly... thanks to the blogs I read, lol. Well, sadly, European Cat I remain, thus my flying capabilities are rather limited to those more conventional methods of transportation. I close my eyes, snap my fingers, make a wish, hold my breath, open my eyes....

    Same office. A nice one, no complaints, but it's definitely not Shatti Al-Qurm.

    I flew to Oman for a weekend. I left Qatar on Thursday morning and was back here on Saturday evening. 50 hours was all it took me to fall in love with the country. Oman is what I expected Arabia would (and should) be. As a little girl, I used to read Arabic fairytales and I had this idea in my head of beautiful lush oasis with palm trees, colourful fabrics, rich scents of the markets, fishing boats by the sea... I know it's not a very traditional image of Arabia, but that is what I was expecting when I first came to the Gulf. After a short spell in Bahrain and a longer one in Qatar, as well as few trips to the UAE, I finally found the place where my childhood images came alive.

    Oman.

    I can't begin to explain what it is that has drawn me so much. Be it the natural beauty of the country in winter, nice people, amazing scenery and architecture, good manners of Omani drivers and lack of traffic jams... everything fell into place and created a beautiful country.

    Yes of course I know I didn't see much in these two days, but I liked all I saw. I stayed in a beautiful Grand Hyatt hotel. If you happen to be there - look at the piano in the lobby! I've never seen anything like that...

    Few things that are now forever etched in my memory:

    Breakfast coffee in Hyatt
    Water train ride in the amusement park
    Barefoot man in the most beautiful mosque
    Little Omani boy posing for my camera
    Sunset on the road to Barka
    Mountains mountains mountains
    D'Arcy's Kitchen table mats
    The date and coffee guy at Al Bustan
    Hand drawn map of Muscat area

    I will come back one day soon and I am so looking forward to it. There is much to see in Oman, and I want to see it all. Suggestions welcome!

    =^..^=

    PS. Pictures coming up later on today!

    posted by Bravecat @ 12:12 pm  
    17 Comments:
    • At 06/12/2005, 13:43, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      :)

      Thats.. it Next time U are gonna take me with You to Oman!!No excuses would do!!AM glad u had a great time !

       
    • At 06/12/2005, 15:03, Blogger Unknown said…

      Glad you enjoyed our country. You mentioned most of the touristy activities that one can take and do, but you still need a visit to Nizwa and maybe an Eid feast at Ibra.

      Hope you come back soon or else I'll fly to you lol ;)

       
    • At 06/12/2005, 15:09, Blogger Unknown said…

      I believe I can fly
      A label I have sown
      Over Gulf countries I soar
      Omani I am born

      I believe I can float
      See me jumping off the mountain goat
      I believe I can fly
      Only people know how and way
      I can fly
      I can fly
      I can flyyyyyyyyyy hmmmmmmm...


      IGNORE!!! In a silly mood

       
    • At 06/12/2005, 15:21, Blogger Bravecat said…

      *Having troubles picking herself up from the floor...*

      Jumping off the mountain goat?

      *Still having troubles...*

      Mountain goat...... Warda...

      OK can I go and DIE LAUGHING now?

       
    • At 06/12/2005, 15:30, Blogger Bravecat said…

      James,

      Wherever I go, if my laptop comes along then so do you! :^)

       
    • At 07/12/2005, 00:41, Blogger Kay said…

      loved ur pics! really glad u enjoyed ur trip. warda's song is very inspiring. lol

      I Loooove the table mats on darcy's :) hope u tried the chicken or tuna melt world famous i tell u

       
    • At 07/12/2005, 08:16, Blogger Unknown said…

      lol :p hehehe

      I should be a song writer

       
    • At 07/12/2005, 09:31, Blogger Bravecat said…

      @Tusa Agus Mise (while trying to figure out what M stands for... Mise or the other M?) - you should definitely go to Oman, it's gorgeous. I will post more photographs sometime soon when I will have missed Oman even more :^)

      @Wicked - Aren't they CUTE? I had chicken in green peppercorn sauce, it was good. Next time will go for the melt :^) Thanks for stopping by!

      @Mountain goat riding lady - this one effort put you in my hall of fame :p

      =^..^=

       
    • At 07/12/2005, 12:56, Blogger U.E. said…

      I wanna go! Sounds like you had a really nice trip and, wow, great pictures!

       
    • At 07/12/2005, 14:07, Blogger Degoat said…

      The best way to have fun in oman, its gotta be the camping trips..

      You have wahiba sands, ras el 7ad, ras madraka (fishin n camping), qantab n the islands there and lots of other places..

      hope you go campin the next time u come to Oman.. I never spend three weekends in musqat.. out on trips

      G

       
    • At 07/12/2005, 22:35, Blogger ghoweljlsfqwef said…

      Welcome Back!!! Sounds like you had fun!!!

       
    • At 07/12/2005, 23:39, Blogger Bravecat said…

      UE - lets go! Honestly!

      Dot - thanks, and welcome back yourself, hehe. Glad you didn't quit blogging after all :^) And yes, I do follow the events, lol.

      Degoat - now that explains why there is nothing in your blog! You're busy camping!

      =^..^=

       
    • At 08/12/2005, 09:24, Blogger Bravecat said…

      Aha, and 97.5 was totally out of whack all day yesterday, and then again, whenever I tune in it switches onto French. French hip hop? Merci, but no...

       
    • At 08/12/2005, 19:25, Blogger Namika said…

      Glad you enjoyed your stay here and had a good time :)

      but as Wrdat said there are a lot of places you still need to see.. hope you can make it and come here again soon :)

       
    • At 09/12/2005, 23:45, Blogger Kay said…

      more pics cat! pleeeze purrty plz

      degoat i've never been camping i want to laken i'm not sure i'll tolerate the whole outdoor thing.

       
    • At 10/12/2005, 00:19, Blogger Bravecat said…

      Thanks guys! More pics coming along, maybe even tonight if I don't fall asleep over my laptop reading your blogs! :^)
      And oh yes I am definitely going back to Oman, and most probably soon! It's great! So I welcome suggestions from all my Omani friends here as to where to go and what to see :^)

      =^..^=

       
    • At 10/12/2005, 12:25, Blogger Degoat said…

      7ilwa.. i'll right something bout camping in Oman.. soon
      will post some pics too..

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    Meet Me

    Name: Bravecat
    Home: Island of Love, Cyprus
    My profile
    Previous Posts
    Archives