Who am I?
Realistically idealistic daydreamer, seasoned procrastinator, atheist and monarchist with a secret agenda and a slight inclination towards voodoo practices.
My other stuff
  • QATAR BLAH BLAH
  • ExpatWoman
  • Facebook
  • Virtual Tourist
  • I Read
    Tennis
    12 February 2007
    Of diamonds, tennis pros & gay cowboys
    In the true Oscar season spirit, I watched the following movies in the last few days: Blood Diamond, Match Point and Brokeback Mountain.

    Blood Diamond I watched mainly thanks to M & J and their fantastic review of the movie. Set in Africa, it shows the gory truths of the conflict diamond trade. From drive by shootings to child soldiers to severed limbs, slavery and drugs - this movie shows the dark side of the sparkling stones. Loved the movie, even though I think I cried non stop most of the time. It was just too real, and the realisation that it is happening just as I am watching it on the screen was too much to bear. The movie follows the story of just one diamond (albeit big, rare, pink 100 carat diamond) from the moment it is found to the moment it is placed in a vault in Europe, and the stories of the people who were tied into the diamond's journey. I won't get into details - you have to go and watch the movie. Make sure you do.
    I might not be the biggest fan of Leo, but he was great in this movie, accent and all. As for Djimon Hounsou? I think I'm in love.

    Fav quote:
    Danny (Leo): I like to get kissed before I get fucked.

    Match Point is one of "my kind" of movies, slow social drama with a twist. Directed by Woody Allen it shows off the best acting I've seen from Rhys Meyers and possibly, Johansson, too. The story? Predictable. An impoverished ex tennis pro Chris Wilton (Rhys Meyers) gets a job of a tennis coach at a privileged club in London, and strikes gold with his very first student - young rich aristocrat Tom Hewet (Matthew Goode). Tom introduces him to his family, and Chris starts courting Tom's sister, Chloe (Emily Mortimer) with the approval of Tom's family who really liked Chris despite his humble origins and lack of money. However, Chris has a misfortune of falling for Tom's fiancee, extremely sexy but unsuccessful American actress Nola Rice (Johansson). Despite this, Chris proceeds to marry Chloe Hewett, and accepts his father in law's offer of a posh job in the family business. Chris owes everything to his family, and is tied up in more ways than a normal person could possibly handle. On one side he has an adoring wife who is trying hard to conceive, and her supporting family who pay for his luxury lifestyle, on the other side he has an affair with now ex fiancee of his brother in law (who dumped Nola for another woman). Nola gets pregnant and Chris finds himself in a situation he can no longer control. As Nola begs him to leave his wife for her and threatens to talk to his wife about their affair, Chris has to make a choice: his comfortable life, or a woman he loves. What would you choose??

    Brokeback Mountain. Oh well, the title lived up to its name as I almost broke my back trying to stay awake on the sofa watching the movie. Is it just me, or is it really the most boring and overrated movie? What exactly was all the hoop-la about, again? That two men can love each other? Well yeah, they can. We know that. And yes 30 years ago it wasn't easy for men to love each other. That's about it, really. I don't like Heath Ledger, and I can't stand Jake Gyllenhaal and I didn't like the movie at all, although I was expecting something special. What I liked? The scenery. The mountains were beautiful, and the water and the trees, and horses... And Anne Hathaway riding at the rodeo - that was great. And one thing that saved the movie for me... the moment when Jack says: "The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it." I do know the feeling.
    posted by Bravecat @ 12:26 pm  
    10 Comments:
    • At 12/02/2007, 13:51, Blogger nzm said…

      Thanks for the kudos! I cried during Blood Diamond too.

      And now I have to see Match Point to find out what he chooses!

       
    • At 12/02/2007, 21:57, Blogger don_veto said…

      I heard good things about Blood Diamonds, but the best movie this year, for me at least, was the Illusionist.

       
    • At 12/02/2007, 21:58, Blogger don_veto said…

      PS I tried to comment lots of times but because I upgraded to blogger 2, it sort of got screwed up.

       
    • At 13/02/2007, 14:43, Blogger Bravecat said…

      NZM,

      You definitely have to watch Match point - it's absolutely wonderful.

      Don Veto,

      I haven't watched the Illusionist, but since you say you liked it that much - I sure will. And hey, this stupid Blogger thing gave me an ultimatum today to upgrade or get lost. So I upgraded. Lets see how it works out...

       
    • At 13/02/2007, 17:07, Blogger Sever said…

      They are our of my list :)

      Did you get Russian movies?

      Next time ask for the movies with Renata Litvinova.
      It's crazy :)

       
    • At 14/02/2007, 08:21, Blogger Mattâ„¢ said…

      FYI all that gorgeous scenery that you saw in the film that you loved was filmed about a 8 hour drive from where I live, and its where ALL my family is from.. Alberta and the Saskatchewan Foothills, hehe !

      Yes, the movie was boring in parts, but I *gasp* disagree with you. I thought the music and shots were brilliant, it was amazingly acted, and Jake was amazing (I do agree with you on Heath, although his character reminded me of my grandfather). Anyways, I thought the movie was an intense love story , and a more REAL love story than anything we have EVER seen recently. It was tragic, and saddening, but it was also uplifting and strongly spiritual, and for a couple of hours, I think they did an amazing job truly transporting the viewer to another time and place.

      But thats just my opinion...

      P.S. You should visit the prairie foothills, you would love the landscape. Where I live is pretty too, but we also have big cities, my family is all ranchers, and honest to god the towns look the exact same as they did in the movie.

       
    • At 15/02/2007, 00:56, Blogger Susan said…

      Loved Blood Diamond...actually kinda like Leo after this one. Accent wasn't bad, either!

       
    • At 15/02/2007, 19:38, Blogger Bravecat said…

      Sever,

      I won't be able to follow the movies in modern Russian without subtitles of some sort! I am totally out of touch with the language.

      Mattie,

      Blah blah blah blah blah :P :P

      And oh yes, I LOVE the landscape. I heard you got a neat new crib, when can I come visit??

      Cairogal,

      Yup totally awesome movie, and Leo was yummy. Not as yummy as Djimon.. I want to marry Djimon and have his babies!

       
    • At 20/02/2007, 17:46, Blogger Jap said…

      You're right QC, Brokeback Mountain is overrated and that is only because of A-list actors playing gay roles. But gay actors playing straight roles don't get hyped. Anyway, there are other better gay films out there that were not given much attention just because the actors aren't well known. For what it's worth, Brokeback is a good movie, but not as good as it's hyped to be. Saving grace: Michelle Williams' powerful "jack nasty" performance. wow.

      As for Blood Diamond, it's one of those movies that has all the right elements. An instant classic. =) Leo saying "Bru" is already worth it LOL =)

       
    • At 21/02/2007, 12:20, Blogger Mise said…

      Just watched 'Blood Diamond' yesterday...I thought it was terrific, especially DeCaprio's acting ..I loved the twist in 'Match Point', and besides, Rhys Meyers is from Cork :D, and we're partisan here :P ...and 'Brokeback'...well the line you quoted said it all for me too.

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    Meet Me

    Name: Bravecat
    Home: Island of Love, Cyprus
    My profile
    Previous Posts
    Archives