Who am I?
Realistically idealistic daydreamer, seasoned procrastinator, atheist and monarchist with a secret agenda and a slight inclination towards voodoo practices.
My other stuff
  • QATAR BLAH BLAH
  • ExpatWoman
  • Facebook
  • Virtual Tourist
  • I Read
    Tennis
    3 November 2005
    Eid Mubarak!

    We have been thinking of going somewhere during Eid holidays. My husband wanted to visit a new country and probably do some diving as well. I wanted to go to Bahrain, spend time with our friends there. And then I caught a nasty virus. So now my husband is on his way to Oman, together with his diving gear and I am on the sofa, together with my antibiotics and a box of tissues. Pretty box, by the way, with green apples pattern on it.  Life is just not fair…
    A little consolation an hour ago – a message from my hubby: “Honey I forgot my shades and the map of Muscat”. That cheered me up a little bit. But only a little. I am home alone, it’s late (but not late enough to sleep), and everyone else is out there celebrating Eid… I wish some kind soul remembered me and brought me some cookies. I remember this tag spree going around weeks ago (and probably STILL going around) where one of the questions was “What’s in your fridge?” Well, this is what I have in my fridge at the moment: 2 lemons, 9 eggs, wilted lettuce, grated parmesan cheese, soy sauce. And absolutely no cookies.
    Whenever I try to take it easy with sweets – my house suddenly fills up with sweets of every possible kind. My husband would bring me a bar of dark chocolate “just like that” (“just like that” usually means I’ve been really moody for no apparent reason), my friends would stop by and bring a bag of nougats, or there would be candy given in the supermarket when they run out of coins. But when I really NEED something sweet, and I mean when it’s a matter of life and death – all I have is lemons! Yes I know all about this “if life hands you lemons…” thing, but come ON now, it’s Eid, and everyone is out there shopping for all things sweet! And every single commercial on telly is about sweets! Snickers bars, Cadbury’s, chocolate chip cookies, ice cream… Life is not fair, and it’s official.
    Now, were I a typical woman of my country, I would have realised that in my cupboard I’ve got sugar, flour, baking powder, and other weird unknown substances my mom bought few months ago and which she used to make us treats. Were I a typical woman of my country, I would have known how to combine these, and then I could have watched them magically transform from limp sticky dough into something impossibly beautiful, sweet, and simply divine. Alas, as luck would have it, I am not kitchen savvy, and this makes my feverish loneliness even harder to bear.
    And so here I am, on my sofa, with my pills and tissues, my laptop, and smooth sounds of Yello mellowing me down. Somewhere out there my husband is driving in the streets of Muscat. Somewhere in Doha people are driving the streets, buying sweets that they will share with their families and friends tomorrow. Eid Mubarak everyone! I wish you all a great holiday!

    posted by Bravecat @ 12:08 am  
    15 Comments:
    • At 03/11/2005, 00:17, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      *meow*

      U forgot to mention that I was giving u company.:((.I hope u get better soon sweets.Eid Mubarak!!


      {{hugs}}

       
    • At 03/11/2005, 00:24, Blogger Bravecat said…

      Haha, J, thanks sweets, but we both know it's not me who is occupying your thoughts :) We are just two late night birds keeping each other company and that's what I like about it - we can feel each other's presense while thinking of our own stuff :) Thanks for the wonderful song!

      =^..^=

       
    • At 03/11/2005, 03:29, Blogger Bravecat said…

      Aww ty ty Maha :) I wish I could order anything like that but I don't know any sweets shops that deliver. By the way, I thought you were going to talk Greek with me...
      Eid Mubarak to you and your family!

       
    • At 03/11/2005, 04:13, Blogger Bravecat said…

      Maha - Ande vre koukla mou, tha milisoume Ellinika kai tha ta thymiseis! :D That would be a great revenge to all those show off-ish people throwing Arabic (Gaelic, etc, lol) into their posts ever so casually! Heh I see I am not the only one online at this hour... :^)

       
    • At 03/11/2005, 10:57, Blogger U.E. said…

      Oye, being sick is possibly the only thing worse than working while everyone is off celebrating Eid. :( Poor punkin'. Hope you feel better soon!

       
    • At 03/11/2005, 13:33, Blogger Bravecat said…

      Maha - lol! Good spelling! But before we start our language blog you ought to explain to me what Tusa Agus Mise stands for! :^) Somebody woke me up at 7 today as well, by the way.

      Unknown Entity - thanks dearie! I feel a bit better today, but guess what? It's not all that bad - I am supposed to be working too.... but instead I am home with a legitimate excuse for a change. Woo hoo!

       
    • At 03/11/2005, 15:12, Blogger Bravecat said…

      Hehe Debs I've got PLENTY of cooking books, but not a single one of them has cooked anything for me so far, what a waste of money... Oh yah I luuurve my tissue box but I would trade it in for a few real apples at the moment :^)

       
    • At 03/11/2005, 23:33, Blogger Bravecat said…

      Hi Happy girl, thanks and Eid Mubarak to you too! Hope you are enjoying it. And yeah chocolate is VERY welcome here :^)

       
    • At 05/11/2005, 02:34, Blogger Thanu said…

      Hey Hope u feel well. Diwali or Eid, we have to come to work in US. So don't feel all that bad. Get well soon..

      -thanu

       
    • At 05/11/2005, 02:37, Blogger Bravecat said…

      Thanu,

      Thanks dearie! :^) Feeling much better already. So no slack for you in the US? Must be tough...

       
    • At 05/11/2005, 03:04, Blogger Thanu said…

      but we get nov end thanksgiving and dec end c'mas so I'm happy. Thanksgiving - we get thrusday fridaysat and sun. C'mas again fri sat and sun..

      so i guess it is all the same.

       
    • At 07/11/2005, 13:21, Blogger Unknown said…

      Been there and not liked it :)

      Btw next time the hub-unit visits your more than welcome to contact me, we can go on a sugar craze together lol

       
    • At 08/11/2005, 23:51, Blogger Thanu said…

      Hey,

      Just saw on Jaguu's post that U were hospitalized. Hope all is well. Get well soon.

      -thanu

       
    • At 12/11/2005, 19:16, Blogger Susanne said…

      I hate feeling sick.

      Hope you're feeling better!

       
    • At 16/11/2005, 17:31, Blogger Bravecat said…

      Sheela - your result is almost identical to mine! :^) Thanks for stopping by.

      Warda - sugar craze is on you, hehe. I can't believe my husband went to Oman and I didn't! I am coming soooooon :o)

      Thanu, Tusa, Susanne - thanks thanks and thanks, am better now. Will hopefully blog more often from now on :^)

      =^..^=

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    Meet Me

    Name: Bravecat
    Home: Island of Love, Cyprus
    My profile
    Previous Posts
    Archives